Bully breed dogs can be rough on toys, and it can be difficult to find toys and treats that are safe for them to eat.Some of the smaller or less dense toys can be easily broken apart and swallowed by these dogs, and no one wants to spend $10 on a special reward that is going to be ripped up by the dog in less time it takes to Tivo through the commercials on the nightly news. Here is a list of bully friendly toys I have compiled from my personal experience –
- Kong Balls – These are not the cheapest on the list, but are a good value due to the fact that they last a LONG time! Make sure you get the variety known as the “Extreme Kong”, it is black in color instead of the traditional red. My dogs have figured out how to get the treat out of the inside within about 2 seconds so I coat the inside with peanut butter to keep them occupied for a longer period of time. You can just throw them in the dishwasher or soak them when they need a good cleaning.
- Bully Sticks – Bully sticks are one of the very few food-based rewards I have found to keep my dogs occupied for long periods of time. Shaped like Slim Jims, these may not the perfect treat for vegetarian owners or those with weak stomachs – the bully sticks are actually made from bull penises. They are 100% natural, low in fat, help to reduce tartar and will keep your dog chewing for at least an hour.
- Booda Super Tug Rope – Basically this is a heavy duty rope with a plastic handle at the end to allow you to play tug of war with your dog.These last for a long time, unless your dog decides they are more interested in eating the plastic handle than the actual rope part (has happened a few times in our house). Strong rope from Home Depot works just as well as this toy, and if you have good knotting skills, you can save yourself some cash by going that route.
- The Almost Indestructible Ball – This ball is HUGE! Your dog will drive themselves crazy just trying to get this large sphere into their mouth, but it is guaranteed to wear them out. It is made of polyethylene, hence the almost indestructible description, and unless your dog has shark teeth this toy should last a long time.
- Heave Hose Fire Hose Bumpers – This is a tug or chew toy made from recycled fire hose and are seriously tough. They also come in a variety called Sqwuggies, which have a squeaking mechanism inside to drive you dog nuts.
- Kevlar Frisbee – This is another toy that is TOUGH. There is absolutely no way I can see any dog being able to destroy this thing. So if you have a dog that likes to play catch, this is the toy for you. Although the disk is dense, it is still light enough to be thrown back and forth in the same manner as a regular frisbee.
- Nylabone Dental Chews – The packaging for these treats will say Nurti Dent or Quest dental care system. These do a great job cleaning your dog’s mouth and are hard enough to provide an ample amount of chewing time. Just make sure to supervise your dog when these treats are given, as it is not advisable for your pet to ingest large chunks of the chew at once.